Summer is upon us, and the need to rethink our fashion and accessories comes with it. Questions arise, such as what fabrics to wear and how to accessorize without feeling too hot or uncomfortable. One such question is, can you wear a felt hat in the summer?
The answer is not a straightforward yes or no. Felt is commonly used for winter hats to keep us warm, but some felt hats could also be worn in the summer. It depends on the quality of the felt, the material’s thickness, and the hat’s style.
For example, a wide-brimmed felt hat made from a lightweight material can work exceptionally well in the summer. The brim helps to shield the face from the sun, while the lightweight felt material allows air to circulate, keeping the head cool and comfortable. However, a thick, heavy-felt will likely not be the best choice for summer wear, as it will be too hot and heavy on the head.
Can You Wear a Felt Hat in the Summer
When it comes to summer headwear, felt hats might not be the first thing that comes to your mind. However, felt hats can be a great addition to your summer wardrobe if you choose the right material and style.
Here are some tips on how to choose the right felt hat material for summer:
1. Look for light-colored hats: Dark colors absorb more heat, making felt hats uncomfortable to wear during summer. Instead, opt for light-colored hats such as beige, light gray, and pastels. These colors reflect sunlight and keep your head cooler.
2. Choose breathable materials: Felt hats made from wool or fur felt can be too heavy and hot for summer. Instead, look for felt hats made from lighter, more breathable materials like straw or paper. These materials allow air to circulate and help to keep your head cool.
3. Check the density of the felt: The denser the felt, the hotter the hat can be. If you want to wear a felt hat in the summer, choose one with a lower-density felt. The lighter the felt, the better the hat will breathe, and the cooler you stay.
4. Opt for a brim: Hats with wide brims offer more sun protection, preventing sunburn and keeping you cooler. A brim also provides shade for your face, neck, and shoulders, which can help to lower your body temperature.
5. Look for moisture-wicking properties: Sweating is inevitable during summer. Choose a felt hat with moisture-wicking properties, such as a sweatband, to help absorb sweat and keep you comfortable.
In short, felt hats can be worn during summer if you choose the right material and style. Look for light-colored, breathable materials, check the density of the felt, opt for a brim, and choose a hat with moisture-wicking properties. Following these tips, you can wear a felt hat in the summer without feeling uncomfortable or overheated.
Styling Tips for Wearing Felt Hats in Warm Weather
Felt hats are often associated with colder weather, but that doesn’t mean you can’t wear them during summer. With simple styling tips, you can make felt hats work for any season, including summer.
Here are some tips for wearing felt hats in warm weather:
- Choose lighter colors: Felt hats come in various colors, but darker shades can absorb more heat. Opt for beige, light gray, or pastel colors that add a summery touch to your outfit.
- Choose lighter materials: Look for felt hats from lightweight wool or straw. These materials are breathable and more comfortable to wear during hot weather.
- Pair with summer fabrics: You can style felt hats with lighter fabrics like cotton, linen, or chambray. A felt hat can add an interesting touch to a summer dress or a simple t-shirt and shorts.
- Wear with lighter accessories: To balance out heavier pieces like felt hats during summer, pair them with lightweight accessories like a scarf or delicate jewelry.
- Add a pop of color: Felt hats in neutral colors can be paired with vibrant accessories like a scarf, clutch, or shoes to add a pop of color to your look.
In conclusion, you can wear felt hats in the summer with the right color and material. Following these styling tips, you can make felt hats work for any season and add an interesting touch to your summer outfits.
One common misconception is that felt hats are only meant to be worn during winter months. While felt hats may provide warmth and protection during colder seasons, they can also be incorporated into summer outfits with the right styling. However, if you’re someone who doesn’t prefer hats made of felt during the warmer months, there are still several great alternatives you can try. Here are a few options to consider:
1. Straw Hats: Straw hats are a classic summer accessory that can instantly elevate any outfit. They are lightweight, breathable, and come in a variety of styles. Whether you prefer a wide-brimmed sun hat or a chic fedora, a straw hat can provide shade and style in equal measure.
2. Baseball caps: Consider a baseball cap for a more casual and sporty look. They’re comfortable, easy to wear, and are perfect for outdoor activities. You can opt for a simple solid-colored cap or choose one with a fun graphic or logo.
3. Bucket Hats: Bucket hats are back in style and are a great option for those looking for a fun and trendy accessory. They come in various materials and patterns, from denim and canvas to tie-dye and floral prints.
4. Visors: Visors are another great option for those who want to keep the sun out of their eyes and cool their head. They’re great for outdoor sports or activities where a traditional hat might feel too heavy or warm.
While felt hats can still be worn during the summer, several alternative hat options can provide both style and comfort. Whether you prefer a classic straw hat or a trendy bucket hat, there’s a summer hat for everyone.